Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Reflections on my progress and plans

Currently Listening to:
Galaxy - Highlight Diver
Dan Pound - Esoterica (Part Eight)

So tomorrow is POSSCON. My team left today right after our ACM talk to go setup the booth for the event. I didn't sleep last night because of my impending fear that I won't get all the work done in time for POSSCON. I think I should have let sleep take over my body seeing as how I don't feel my section of the presentation was lacking in every way. I had to present a demo in front of everyone at the meeting, and my mind was going in a hundred different directions by the time I finished my part of the presentation. The team left after our talk and I stayed in the conference room to finish up more bug fixes and documentation issues. I feel like I let some members of the team down because of my performance today, but I can take solace in the fact that normally I strive under giving talks in front of people (See: BarCamp). Today was just not my day.

I finished my documentation that I wanted to get done and submitted the final diff to Hunter for a bug that I wanted fixed before we debut at POSSCON and proceeded to take a nap. Currently Obsidian is the only thing that I have been working on, and I have been mostly neglecting my other work in other classes. So while the progress has been great on the front of releasing an open source project I feel that on a personal level I should step back and not try to bite off more than I can chew. Currently I want to be on par with the inner workings of Obsidian as Hunter is currently, but that will take more time seeing as how he has a 2 year headstart.

I think the whole team was feeling the stress for the past few days. Sleepless nights of work for the past week have taken its toll on the whole team. I know that looking back on this in hindsight is going to be a great experience, but for next semesters 462 class I will warn the people who want to make their own community that it is a lot of hard work and sleepless nights to make it good.

Oh, and Happy birthday to me. My birthday was this past Sunday which I forced myself to take a break and have dinner with my family. It was fun. I'm most likely going to be buying that mechanical keyboard that I have wanted for a while now with the money I received.


Time for bed so I can wake up early tomorrow to drive up to POSSCON. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment